Friends for a season...
I have the best friends in the world. I have friends who have been there for me through just about everything (oh the drama)...heck, I have some friends that just love me for my drama! I try my best to be a good friend...one that someone can count on and who will love folks for who they are. Friendships tend to mean a lot to me and I tend to put a lot of effort into them. That having been said, I have never been totally comfortable with these friends that walk into your life, are friends for a season, and exit as quickly as they came.
You know who I am talking about...you are bonded or connected by some event or shared experience and strike up a friendship in which you feel comfortable and secure. After a time (sometimes weeks, sometimes months...sometimes even years) the calls and gatherings become less and less frequent. It is usually at this point that I begin to freak out...after all, I have probably invested a good amount of time and effort into this relationship.
I am now beginning to realize that that's okay. Those people are there for a reason...God has invited them to become a part of my life story at that very point in time for a reason. I'm becoming more okay with the time and effort I invest into these friendships...after all, they may be there for no other reason than God knowing I would invest time into that relationship and that's exactly what they need.
For example, I had a friend several years ago who I invested a great deal of love, effort, and care into. It still contend it was a beautiful friendship that will impact me for the rest of my life. However, after about two years of friendship he told me that when I came into his life he needed someone who would listen to him because he needed to work some things in his head out verbally. He had come to a point that he did not feel he needed that anymore so he didn't feel that he needed me anymore. I was devestated and spent a good part of the last couple of years not investing in new friendships because I didn't think I could take another relationship ending in such a hurtful way. I now realize that was a beautiful, God ordained, friendship. I was there and did exactly what he said I did...I filled a need at that very moment, but we were only to be friends for a season.
I am blessed to have friends that I will have for a lifetime. From Karen and Matthew Peedin who have been the best friends I have known in a lifetime to Eric who reminded me Friday night, after ensuring me that it was not the beer talking, that he'll love me forever. I am more thankful than ever for my friendships that I know will last a lifetime, but I am beginning to understand the purpose of and appreicate friendships that will only last a season.
You know who I am talking about...you are bonded or connected by some event or shared experience and strike up a friendship in which you feel comfortable and secure. After a time (sometimes weeks, sometimes months...sometimes even years) the calls and gatherings become less and less frequent. It is usually at this point that I begin to freak out...after all, I have probably invested a good amount of time and effort into this relationship.
I am now beginning to realize that that's okay. Those people are there for a reason...God has invited them to become a part of my life story at that very point in time for a reason. I'm becoming more okay with the time and effort I invest into these friendships...after all, they may be there for no other reason than God knowing I would invest time into that relationship and that's exactly what they need.
For example, I had a friend several years ago who I invested a great deal of love, effort, and care into. It still contend it was a beautiful friendship that will impact me for the rest of my life. However, after about two years of friendship he told me that when I came into his life he needed someone who would listen to him because he needed to work some things in his head out verbally. He had come to a point that he did not feel he needed that anymore so he didn't feel that he needed me anymore. I was devestated and spent a good part of the last couple of years not investing in new friendships because I didn't think I could take another relationship ending in such a hurtful way. I now realize that was a beautiful, God ordained, friendship. I was there and did exactly what he said I did...I filled a need at that very moment, but we were only to be friends for a season.
I am blessed to have friends that I will have for a lifetime. From Karen and Matthew Peedin who have been the best friends I have known in a lifetime to Eric who reminded me Friday night, after ensuring me that it was not the beer talking, that he'll love me forever. I am more thankful than ever for my friendships that I know will last a lifetime, but I am beginning to understand the purpose of and appreicate friendships that will only last a season.

1 Comments:
It is good that we can see God's plan in retrospect, but I know it can be really hurtful when friends let us know, in so many ways, that they no longer need our friendship. I have to rest assured that God is building character in my life when things like that happen. As much as it hurts, that he is going to make me stronger through those times. It is rare to find a golden friend, one who will stick around through thick and thin. But I have found the risk of trusting new friends, knowing I very well may get hurt in the process, is worth it if eventually one of those friends turns golden.
Post a Comment
<< Home