Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Anthem of Authenticity.

I once heard a pastor say (and Jeff, I believe it may even have been you!) that we live in one of the first generations in a long time that values authenticity over excellence. I firmly believe this is true. That having been said, "authenticity" seems to be the buzz word of the post-modern Christian community. I believe with all my heart that living an authentic life brings us closer to the heart of Jesus and shows others around us a path to that heart that is feasible to walk. I believe in what authenticity can do for the Kingdom of God.

Lately, however, I feel as if I see myself and others using this "authenticity" as an excuse for meanness. We snap at people, are short, and pretend as if peace is out of our reach. We say things like "I'm just being me" or "I'm just being real" or worst of all "I'm just being an authentic Christian." In reality, we're just being plain mean.

An "authentic" Christian practices the fruit of the spirits in their relationship with Christ and with others. When I fall short of showing love to someone, I should be crushed. When I allow something to smother my joy, I should be crushed. When peace is overtaken by chaos and unrest, I should be crushed. When I don't exhibit patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control, I should be crushed. I'm tired of chalking my lack of development in the fruits of the spirits up to "authenticity". Not being able to practice simple kindness is not "authenticity", it's a lack of development.

Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control...I want those to be the authentic me. I'm fine with admitting i'm not there, but I'm not fine with not making them the goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home