Where were you?
My dad called that morning as I was getting ready for class in my apartment. I was home alone. I had no clue the world had changed. He told me to turn on the TV and I sat and watched. My dad sat there in his office at the elementary school and tried to figure out how to explain, what would later to dubbed 9/11, to 800 elementary age children. He talked to me for a few minutes until he got confirmation that I was okay and told me to go about my day. We all watched the events unfold over the next day as it became more and more apparent that this was an attack on ideals and beliefs than on our country.
Fast forward two days to September 13, 2001. My best friend was a girl who I went to school with overseas. Her name is Naila. She's Egyptian, lives in Egypt, and is Muslim. She and I email back and forth DAILY. I got an email from her saying that her father (a very strict Muslim) was taking away her email and would no longer be allowing her to communicate with Americans. She said she'd contact me as soon as she was able. There were no more emails. For six years there were no more emails.
Then last week, six years later, I get a message in my inbox "You have a facebook message from Naila Abdel Ghaffar." HOLY CRAP, COULD IT BE TRUE?? My fingers were literally going so fast I had to type my password, like, five times. She found me! It was probably one of the happiest days of my life. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. I think it's true because of what it symbolized for me. It was a little bit of healing.
See, I consider myself a patriot. I love my country. I don't think there's any place better. I've lived outside of our country and loved every second of it. I even, to some extent, consider myself a "third culture kid" (Kids who spend a lot of time outside of their native culture and have a tough time identifying with their native culture). But, I've cried at the sound of our national anthem and the sight of seeing our flag raised. I've cheered on democracy and freedom for all I'm wroth, but...
Well, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't live with a little resentment in my heart. Resentment that these attacks and the beliefs on which my country was built have kept me from one of the people I love the most. I've put my best patriot face forward, as literally, it's my job to do. All-the-while, hiding this little bit of resentment. Maybe she and I being able to be reunited via the endless scope that is facebook shows a step in the right direction. Maybe it just shows her willingness to stand up to her father...who knows? For me though, it's meant a lot of healing.
So, maybe for that reason...Maybe because of Naila this September 11th has struck me more than others. I love my country. I'm proud of my country. There's not much I wouldn't give up for it...my best friend even (albeit resentfully). So, what's your 9/11 story? What are your thoughts today?
Fast forward two days to September 13, 2001. My best friend was a girl who I went to school with overseas. Her name is Naila. She's Egyptian, lives in Egypt, and is Muslim. She and I email back and forth DAILY. I got an email from her saying that her father (a very strict Muslim) was taking away her email and would no longer be allowing her to communicate with Americans. She said she'd contact me as soon as she was able. There were no more emails. For six years there were no more emails.
Then last week, six years later, I get a message in my inbox "You have a facebook message from Naila Abdel Ghaffar." HOLY CRAP, COULD IT BE TRUE?? My fingers were literally going so fast I had to type my password, like, five times. She found me! It was probably one of the happiest days of my life. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. I think it's true because of what it symbolized for me. It was a little bit of healing.
See, I consider myself a patriot. I love my country. I don't think there's any place better. I've lived outside of our country and loved every second of it. I even, to some extent, consider myself a "third culture kid" (Kids who spend a lot of time outside of their native culture and have a tough time identifying with their native culture). But, I've cried at the sound of our national anthem and the sight of seeing our flag raised. I've cheered on democracy and freedom for all I'm wroth, but...
Well, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't live with a little resentment in my heart. Resentment that these attacks and the beliefs on which my country was built have kept me from one of the people I love the most. I've put my best patriot face forward, as literally, it's my job to do. All-the-while, hiding this little bit of resentment. Maybe she and I being able to be reunited via the endless scope that is facebook shows a step in the right direction. Maybe it just shows her willingness to stand up to her father...who knows? For me though, it's meant a lot of healing.
So, maybe for that reason...Maybe because of Naila this September 11th has struck me more than others. I love my country. I'm proud of my country. There's not much I wouldn't give up for it...my best friend even (albeit resentfully). So, what's your 9/11 story? What are your thoughts today?

3 Comments:
a bit of a delayed response...kinda behind on checking in on the blogs...
i was getting a massage at the sport massage place our team used...not a nice massage. i was in the room for an hour, when we came out the receptionist was freaking out and told us what was going on..so sureal...drove home from and my roommate and i were glued to the tv watching in total disbelief. two of my good friends at school have parents who work in the pentagon so i tried calling to check on them but the phone lines were jammed. went to campus but professors didn't attempt to teach. what a tragic day in our history...
I seriously just got chills when she found you! That's such an amazing look at the steps forward our lives have taken.
Are you still in touch with her?
Thanks Jordy...she and I talk every day...without fail. I'm going to see her in October. God is good.
Post a Comment
<< Home