Sunday, April 20, 2008

Can't We All Just Get Along???

OK, so I know I promised a post on my new friend Joseph, and don't fret...it will happen. I just wanted to make a quick post regarding something I've noticed lately that causes me some great concern. It leaves me asking, "Can't we all just get along?"

Many people in my church community blog. It's the "in" thing to do and a good way to hear people's thoughts. I, like many others, have a list of blogs I check through every couple of days, just to see what's going on. I appreciate very much that so many of my friends have so many different thoughts, opinions, and beliefs.

Lately, however, I've noticed blogs and blog comments taking quite the nasty turn, especially when politics is the topic of interest. People's feelings, including my own, have been hurt at times, people have begun to not comment for fear of being misunderstood and people have felt attacked. Somethings got to give!

I don't know what the solution is. People certainly have a right to post as they wish with their opinions, just as I am. I just really wish we could all be a bit nicer, remember these people are our friends and the people we have chosen to live life with, and remember it's just a blog...

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

AMEN sista!!!

and welcome back to the blog world.

8:40 AM  
Blogger joye said...

sam -- i totally agree with you! i think conversations should be started about these topics, but without being hurtful or offensive.

one other issue with the "blog world" is that anytime information is sent over electronic sources, it is at risk for being read in ways it wasn't intended. i think if everyone keeps this in mind, whether they be blogging or commenting, people would feel better about posting and/or leaving comments.

8:54 AM  
Blogger MissJordyPants said...

words are easily twisted when they are read instead of spoken. Things come across as much snarkier than intended. There's also the curtain of the internet... a bit of anonymity that real life doesn't grant us. I frequent a local message board and am often blown away by the way people talk to each other when they don't have to look into their eyes. My best advice, realize that when we blog, we put our opinions & thoughts into public scrutiny and have to be tough enough for the backlash. Stand by your opinion and fight for them!

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home