Thursday, June 05, 2008

The Comfort of History

Last Wednesday night I had dinner with my friends Tim and Nicole. Tim was a good friend of mine in college. Since college, has been working for Campus Crusade along with his wonderful wife. I had not seen them in several months which, to be honest, sometimes can be a little awkward. Like, we both know we should have gotten together sooner, which makes for some awkwardness. Add that on top of that, the possibility that, well, after not having seen each other for a few months, we could possibly have NOTHING to talk about. With that having been said, I headed to Holly Springs for dinner...a little nervous.

I couldn't have been more wrong! We had such a wonderful time. We kicked off our shoes, sat around the living room while our dogs played, and talked about life. I found myself immediately more comfortable than I am in 90% of my friendships. I think this is because there is history there. There's no small talk that has to be done. There is so much comfort in being in conversation with someone that knows where you are coming from...knows your past, knows how you grew up, knows what your experiences have been without you having to tell them.

There is great comfort in history for me. The conversation truly warmed my heart! It was nourishment from the Lord for the day. Thanks Carey family!

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannon Smith said...

So true.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home