Post-election wrap up!
No need to check to see if you've wandered onto the wrong blog. What you are seeing is correct. I am still here. I took a forced hiatus from the blog world leading up to November's election and just never came back. We are now 4 1/2 months post-election. Most of my friends were really great both leading up to the election and post-election. They still managed to love the mean, short-fused, tired friend I was replaced with for the couple of months before the election. And, they still managed to love the whiney, bitter, unemployed friend I became post-election. So, below, I will attempt to answer some of the most common questions I received post-election...
Q: So, since Senator Dole lost, does that mean you lose your job?
A: Yes.
Q: Is this something you thought might happen? Did you plan for that?
A: No. Do YOU plan on getting laid-off??
Q: What was election day like for you?
A: 4:30 am - my friends at Starbucks opened early that morning JUST so I could have my Starbucks Americano on election day
5:00 am - staff meeting (I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you.)
6:00 am - 2:00 pm - at a polling site in Apex...in the rain...rallying supporters
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm - managing campaign calls at the office...this may have also included chasing a co-worker down Hillsborough St. while he chased a Kay Hagan campaign truck...caught up with them at a light...and, well...it went down hill from there. I'll stop there as to not out Alex if they decide to press charges.
3:30 pm - head to Salisbury, NC for our "victory party".
7:00 pm - arrive at victory party with FoxNews having already called our race...smile for the news cameras
9:30 pm - concession speech
10:00 pm - head to staff only gathering with Senator Dole
After this...things get fuzzy. I distinctly remember the Senator pouring Makers Mark for me. Per my phone call to Jeff...an an un-godly hour, I am sure...I did not jump off a cliff.
Q: Are you bitter?
A: Yes. I had thought it would go away by now, but it has not.
Q: What was it like closing your office?
A: The best way to describe it like the last episode of a season of The Real World. I worked with 8 women. With the exception of myself, Joanna, and Elizabeth, they had all worked together for approximately 20 years. It was pure family. The last day we had finished packing up and we all sat around our kitchen table waiting for someone to have to leave. This is the kitchen table where I had celebrated 5 birthdays. Some of them had celebrated 15 of them, some 20. We cried over divorces around that table. Met new babies around that table. Mourned the loss of Senator Helms around that table. I got hounded about first dates around that table. We laughed A LOT around that table. Crazy. So, one by one our time would come. We had flights to catch (our last day was the beginning of what would-have-been our Christmas vacation), family to greet, etc. We cried each time someone left. Yep, sorry...nothing witty or funny to offer about that. It was sad. That is all.
Q: Do you know President Obama?
A: I don't know him, but we did share a bottle of Makers Mark one time...wait...wait...that was not him...
So, there you have it. Election questions...answered. If you have others, feel free to post them. Really...I promise to respond kindly...no really...I do.
Q: So, since Senator Dole lost, does that mean you lose your job?
A: Yes.
Q: Is this something you thought might happen? Did you plan for that?
A: No. Do YOU plan on getting laid-off??
Q: What was election day like for you?
A: 4:30 am - my friends at Starbucks opened early that morning JUST so I could have my Starbucks Americano on election day
5:00 am - staff meeting (I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you.)
6:00 am - 2:00 pm - at a polling site in Apex...in the rain...rallying supporters
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm - managing campaign calls at the office...this may have also included chasing a co-worker down Hillsborough St. while he chased a Kay Hagan campaign truck...caught up with them at a light...and, well...it went down hill from there. I'll stop there as to not out Alex if they decide to press charges.
3:30 pm - head to Salisbury, NC for our "victory party".
7:00 pm - arrive at victory party with FoxNews having already called our race...smile for the news cameras
9:30 pm - concession speech
10:00 pm - head to staff only gathering with Senator Dole
After this...things get fuzzy. I distinctly remember the Senator pouring Makers Mark for me. Per my phone call to Jeff...an an un-godly hour, I am sure...I did not jump off a cliff.
Q: Are you bitter?
A: Yes. I had thought it would go away by now, but it has not.
Q: What was it like closing your office?
A: The best way to describe it like the last episode of a season of The Real World. I worked with 8 women. With the exception of myself, Joanna, and Elizabeth, they had all worked together for approximately 20 years. It was pure family. The last day we had finished packing up and we all sat around our kitchen table waiting for someone to have to leave. This is the kitchen table where I had celebrated 5 birthdays. Some of them had celebrated 15 of them, some 20. We cried over divorces around that table. Met new babies around that table. Mourned the loss of Senator Helms around that table. I got hounded about first dates around that table. We laughed A LOT around that table. Crazy. So, one by one our time would come. We had flights to catch (our last day was the beginning of what would-have-been our Christmas vacation), family to greet, etc. We cried each time someone left. Yep, sorry...nothing witty or funny to offer about that. It was sad. That is all.
Q: Do you know President Obama?
A: I don't know him, but we did share a bottle of Makers Mark one time...wait...wait...that was not him...
So, there you have it. Election questions...answered. If you have others, feel free to post them. Really...I promise to respond kindly...no really...I do.

3 Comments:
Have you thought about trying to get a similar position with another politician?
I'm not sure how you fell into your position with Senator Dole. Maybe you could share that.
awww SAM! I LOVE YOU!
YAAAAAAAH you're back! What are you doing now? When are you moving to CA?
Post a Comment
<< Home