The Real World: Raleigh
So, two years ago my friends, the Gore's and the Ramsey's, embarked on what they now call "an experiment in community living" and purchased a home together in downtown Raleigh. At the time of purchase they were seven (no, not "Seven Strangers Picked to Live in a House...")...Jeff, Bobbi-Jo, their three kids (Michael 3, Matthew, 2, and Abigail, newborn), Jason and Diana. Now, two years-ish later...they are 10! Jeff and Bobbi-Jo now have 4 (ages 5, 4, 2, and 7 months), and the Gore are now 4 (8 month old twins). For the past two years, their house has always been the center of activity. There are times that, honestly, I forget people actually live there. It really feels like a house that belongs to a community...people float in and out...live there for weeks at a time (Pat..haha)...eat their food...watch their TV.
Now, the experiment is approaching an end. The house will be sold. This leaves me, a frequent guest at the "Gramsey", as I call it, with quite a few questions regarding how this will all go...
1) Do you think the people who purchase the house will be cool with us still having homegroup there? There's no where else for us to go, so could you please work this into the contract?
2) Where are we supposed to watch 24 when the house sells? Could get tricky. I'm just saying...I'm going to need a clear "executive order" prior to the house selling to tell me where to go on Monday nights.
3) The "Gramsey" has been the site of many-a-cookout over the past couple of years. Most recently it was where we tried to woo the Fishes back to Raleigh. Just where do you think we are going to have these cookouts now? This is a serious concern. Jeff...if you expect people with "wander-lust", as you call it, to realize the error of their ways...there has to be a place to have cookouts. This is not an insurmountable ordeal...I am simply suggesting it should be given some thought.
4) One of the thing I appreciate most about the "Gramsey" is that there seems to be an never-ending supply of beer in the refrigerator. I'm not quite sure whose beer I have been drinking for the past two years, but are we all expected to "tab-out" upon sell of the home. If so, I need to start saving now.
I think once these questions are answered, I'll feel a little bit better. I'll miss the Edenton Street house. I appreciate the community we've all found in this house. Thanks for living it out, Gores and Ramseys.
I think the best option is for the experiment to continue...anyone willing to go in with me and buy the house?

3 Comments:
funny funny, love it! :)
How many people are in your home group? 40-ish? If each person were willing to commit to $50 a month to the cause you guys could probably pay the mortgage.
Well, then you have to take into account the jobless rate, which is at an all time high of around 10%. So, that means that probably 4 of you don't have a job. Maybe this won't fly.
Okay. Plan B. You rent out the top floor for $1,250/month. Then, you charge a $5-10 cover at home group meetings, 24 viewings and cookouts. Oh, yeah, and you make people start buying the beer out of the fridge.
shannon thinking like a true business man
Post a Comment
<< Home